Five CORESafety® Participating Companies Receive Sentinels of Safety Awards
Five of the 20 American mining companies that received NMA’s Sentinels of Safety Awards last week are currently implementing CORESafety in their operations. The full roster of honorees was comprised of six coal mines and 14 mineral/metal mines.
They were recognized in Washington, D.C. for their performances in 2017 by the National Mining Association (NMA), the U.S. National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH), U.S. Department of the Interior’s Office of Surface Mining Reclamation and Enforcement (OSMRE) and Bureau of Land Management (BLM). The Sentinels of Safety Award recognizes coal and mineral mining operations in 10 categories for recording the most hours in a calendar year without a single lost-time injury. A minimum of 4,000 hours is required for award consideration.
The Sentinel winners, like all who have and are implementing CORESafety, demonstrate a commitment to continuous safety performance improvement. They understand that achieving the goal of returning every employee home safely every day requires leadership, dedication and focus in order to develop and maintain a true safety culture throughout their organizations.
The five CORESafety companies and their respective awards include:
- Underground Metal: Exodus – Newmont USA Limited
- Open Pit: Genesis – Newmont USA Limited
- Metal / Nonmetal Mill: Grand Saline Operations – Morton Salt
- Coal Processing Facility: Kayenta Mine – Peabody Western Coal Co.
- Surface Coal: Kosse Strip – Luminant
- Coal Processing Facility: Holden No 22 Preparation Plant – Arch Coal, Inc.
In addition, three other CORESafety participating companies were recognized for Environmental Contributions and Technology this year. They include:
- Good Neighbor Award: Peabody Mining Operations LLC – Bear Run Mine – Carlisle, Indiana
- Good Neighbor Award: Trapper Mining Inc. – Trapper Mine – Craig, Colorado
- CONSOL Energy Inc.
Pictured above: Peabody Energy
Pictured above: Newmont Mining
Pictured above: Morton Salt
To see the full list of 2018 winning companies and their awards, click here.
To learn more about participating in CORESafety, visit our website at www.CORESafety.org